There is a constant battle when making a product choice. Four main factors influence a buyers decision:
1) Price - Is the product worth the value?
2) Quality - Will the product meet the required standards?
3) Availability - Can I get the product when I need it?
4) Impact - What environmental foot print am I leaving?
Let's apply these four factors to purchasing cartridges.
1) Price: How much will I be paying? OEM Brand cartridges are significantly more expensive than generic products. Price wise, a generic product provides the best savings.
2) Quality: Will generic provide the same quality as the OEM brand since it has reused plastics? Yes. Why such a short answer? Brand name companies such as HP, Lexmark, and more reuse their own product and continue to sell it as "OEM." See HP's chart below:
3) Availability: Can I get the product when I need it? The availability is near identical between OEM cartridges and generic cartridges. The availability of generics creates a slighter greater availability against the OEM products due to popular demand.
4) Impact: Will these products damage the environment? What are my recycling options? As mentioned under the Quality section, all brands OEM and generic recycle and reuse their products where possible. At Prairie Laser Inc. we recycle all cartridge products to help keep the environment clean.
The only one who can make the choice for product selection is you. Soak in the data so you can make an informed decision.
Maya Schouten - General Manager at Prairie Laser Inc. with over 11 years of experience in both print and computer technology.